In October of 1965 a meeting was assembled with the Lake Toxaway Property Owner's Association (POA) and the volunteers of Lake Toxaway. After this meeting came the decision to organize The Lake Toxaway Volunteer Fire Department. An agreement was reached between the two groups that the POA would provide funds to finance the operation, and that the volunteers would provide the manpower to facilitate the operation. All volunteers paid $1 to become a member and the Lake Toxaway Volunteer Fire Department was officially enabled.
• First Fire Chief was Bill McNeely. He issued our charter
• First two vehicles were a Panel Wagon and a Brush Truck
• First Pumper was a 1948 American Lafrance
• First Tanker was a converted Biltmore Dairy Truck
In 1985 we added Medical Response to our list of Services, further broadening our emergency capabilities.
Robert Cooper is our current Chief, and he has been loyally serving since 1992.